Ankara in Pop Culture
Ankara fabric has become a phenomenal item of immense global reception, so much that many celebrities have worn it. Due to its durable versatility, the popular African cotton fabric has been used to make clothes and accessories such as hats, earrings, and even bags, which have been rocked on various occasions by top artists.
In recent times, some of our favorite Afrobeats artists have been in touch with their African roots and here are 10 times they slayed in Ankara designs.
1. Wizkid – The Nigerian singer and songwriter is not one to be caught in drab outfits. He is a trendsetter and has been know to bring a lot of the oldie styles back.
2. Nneka – Every lover of soul music knows that no other person does it like this energetic singer. Her style is a brilliant blend of chic and edgy, and with her signature Afro, she never misses it. Okay, so this is adire fabric (indigo-dyed cloth made by mostly Yoruba women in southwestern Nigeria); more of this fabric in a later blog post. Psst...adire styles will be in stock soon!
3. Fuse ODG – The popular Afrobeats artist making waves within the music industry has got a bit of the edgy style, and he wears the Ankara well.
5. Dija – Some people wear the Ankara fabric on their bodies, the soulful Dija wears hers on her hair. Never one to blend in, she has always been one to love the easy and functional styles, while giving a hint of sexiness and sophistication.
6. Vanessa Mdee – The Tanzanian singer who loves to wear edgy and trendy styles have always been your ultimate goals. Her ability to work fashions trends to suit her style easily sets her aside from the pack and leaves you crushing for days.
7. Jidenna – The Style Mania himself, Jidenna invents his own style stemmed from the roots of the culture. From printed ties to blazers and sometimes, suspended pants, he rocks them like no other.
8. Yemi Alade – This amazing singer has always been daring with her style. She adds flair and extraness to the African fashion. There’s nothing to fault in her style, and it is no doubt unique to her.
9. Mr Eazi – This multi-talented Afrobeat singer is an extraordinary artist whose love for Africa and everything related to it is always reflective in his songs and style.
10. Tiwa Savage – Always the chic and spirited dresser, Tiwa Savage checks all the bouncy style boxes every time she steps out.
Bonus: This song, Ankara Baby by Cool H, was created for Ankara lovers!
What's your favorite music video featuring Ankara or other African fabrics? Comment below.
|About the author: Modupe Ogundare is a creative writer who enjoys writing about the everyday life. When she’s not at her job as a digital strategist where she ensures her business clients are advantaged by her copy and marketing writing skills, she’s honing her skills on persuasive storytelling and photography. She volunteers on a few platforms and contributes for BellaNaija. She can't imagine a world without crepes and coke. She can be also be found on Medium.|